Hair Care Tips For High Porosity Hair
Hair porosity is a term that’s used to describe how easily your hair is able to retain moisture. If you have high porosity hair, it means that water, oils, and other types of products can be easily absorbed and lost by your hair.
High porosity hair can be genetic, but is usually the result of hair processing and styling treatments such as straightening, blow-drying, bleaching, and other chemical applications. These types of treatments can damage your cuticles, causing them to lift or separate. This can create gaps between your cuticles, making your hair to be more porous than it would normally be.
High Porosity Characteristics:
- feels and looks dry
- prone to frizz and breakage
- tangles easily
- air dries very quickly
- absorbs products quickly
- can lack luster and shine
How To Care For High Porosity Hair:
When caring for high porosity hair, the main goal is to reverse damage to the cuticle, helping the hair retain and keep in moisture. To help nourish, moisturize, and repair highly porous hair, it’s important to use products that have the right formulation for this hair type. Typically, this will involve using hair care products that include “heavier” ingredients like oils or butters.
Tips to promote hair growth:
- Avoid sulfates, parabens, silicones, and sodium laureth sulfates. These ingredients can pull a lot of natural oil from your hair.
- Use only lukewarm water when you wash and condition your hair. Hot water may lift the cuticles and cause further damage.
- Dry your hair with a cotton T-shirt. Vigorous drying with a towel can create friction and cause breakage. A smooth fiber, cotton shirt can be more soothing and may help protect your hair from damage.
- Minimize heat styling. You can also use heat styling appliances on a lower heat setting and use a heat protecting product on your hair.
At Nature's Rootz, all of our products contain antioxidant-rich ingredients that protect, hydrate, and deeply nourish - making them suitable for all hair types, high porosity hair included.