How To Moisturize Low Porosity Hair
Hair porosity is our hair's ability to absorb and retain moisture. The overall porosity of your hair affects how well oils and moisture pass in and out of the outermost layer of your hair, which is known as the cuticle.
Hair porosity is largely due to genetics, but can also be altered by blow drying, bleaching, straightening, or using harsh products. Damaging the hair can cause the hair cuticles to become raised and open, which can make it difficult for your hair to retain moisture.
Low Porosity Hair
With low porosity hair, the cuticles are close together and tightly packed - making it harder for moisture to penetrate the hair shaft. Because there are no spaces between the cuticles, it makes it harder for water, as well as products like oils and conditioners, to deliver moisture to the hair shaft.
Low Porosity Characteristics
- Products sit on your hair instead of absorbing
- Washing and drying takes longer
- Your hair struggles to stay moisturized
How To Moisture Low Porosity Hair
- Weekly Treatments with Heat: Heat keeps your hair shaft open to receive hydration. Incorporating weekly deep conditioning/hot oil treatments is the most beneficial way to combat dryness.
- Cleansing: Product build-up makes it harder for water to penetrate the hair strands. By thoroughly cleansing the hair with gentle ingredients, you can maintain higher levels of moisture.
- Use water based styling products: Water based moisturizers and leave ins don't leave product buildup. This is crucial for keeping low porosity hair healthy.
- Use lightweight oils: When using oils on your hair, light-weight and fast absorbing carrier oils work best for low porosity hair. Moisturizing products help enhance the effectiveness of water in your hair. They do not seal water in, but instead, give water the boost it needs to work.
At Nature's Rootz, we created our Hair & Body Oil with low porosity hair in mind. All of the carrier oils in our product are fast absorbing and non-greasy. Argan, Sweet Almond, Grapeseed, and Jojoba are all light-weight oils that increase moisture levels and nourish the hair strands. It can be used as a daily moisturizer, in conjunction with a leave in, or as a weekly hot oil treatment.
For more information, visit our website at www.naturesrootz.com.